Eating a proper diet is the first thing diabetic seniors must do to live longer and healthier lives. Diabetes can make eating the right food choices very challenging. Controlling portion sizes, knowing the proper mealtime, and choosing healthy options can be very hassle and difficult for some.
That is why home care services usually include meal preparation for seniors who need help in shopping for healthy food choices, preparing healthy meals, and even attaining healthy eating habits at home. So, for diabetic seniors, here are some helpful food tips you can follow:
- Keep fat to a minimum and steer clear of trans-fats and saturated fats.
- Limit your salt intake. Remember that packaged and processed foods have high amounts of salt.
- Always avoid sodas, drink mixes, flavored coffee creamers, and sweet snacks.
- Limit your cholesterol intake.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages as these are high in calories and sugar.
So, what are the right foods that diabetic seniors should eat? With the help of our home health care agency in New York City, New York, you can learn the different food choices that are safe to consume if you have diabetes. These include healthy carbs such as whole grains, legumes, and lentils, foods that are high in fiber, fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein, and healthy fats that are found in avocados, olives, and nuts.
Always adhere to the proper and recommended diet for seniors with diabetes. Don’t give in to temptations and remember that diabetes can always be managed well. Just have discipline and self-control or ask for help from our skilled in nursing in New York!